Official Rules for the Winter Swear Jar Sweepstakes
No Purchase Necessary. A Purchase Will Not Increase Your Chances of Winning.
- Eligibility: The Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (including DC) who are at least eighteen (18) years old. Employees of Hotels.com, L.P. (“Sponsor”), as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of those employees, are not eligible to enter.
- Entry Period: The Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 AM CT on February 6, 2019, and ends at 11:59 PM CT on March 22, 2019, or when all ten (10) prizes are awarded, whichever comes first (the “Entry Period”). Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Sweepstakes.
- How the Swear Jar Fills Up: During the Entry Period, Sponsor will search Twitter for posts from US residents that include a complaint about winter and a swear word (a “Qualifying Tweet”). For every Qualifying Tweet Sponsor finds, Sponsor will add $0.25 to the Swear Jar on www.WinterSwearJar.com. (Although Sponsor may not find all Qualifying Tweets, Sponsor reserves the right to add more than $0.25 to the Swear Jar for each Qualifying Tweet it finds.) Once the Swear Jar has reached $1,000, a prize will be made available, and Sponsor will award that prize in a random drawing of all entries received by the time of the drawing. At that point, the Swear Jar will be emptied out and restarted at $0. This process will repeat until the end of the Entry Period. If the Swear Jar is not full on March 22, 2019, Sponsor reserves the right to not award any additional prizes.
How to Enter: There are two (2) ways to enter:
- On the Website: Visit www.WinterSwearJar.com, complete the entry form, and you will receive one (1) entry.
- On Twitter: Post a complaint about winter on Twitter using the hashtag #WinterSwearJar, and you will receive one (1) entry. Please make sure your entry does not violate anyone’s rights, including, but not limited to, copyrights or trademark rights.
- For all Entries: All entries must be received during the Entry Period. There is a limit of one (1) entry per person per day, regardless of method of entry. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. The use of multiple e-mail addresses or Twitter accounts, an agency, or any automated system to enter is strictly prohibited, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries received through such methods. By entering the Sweepstakes, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements in these Official Rules.
- Sponsor’s Rights to Entries: You do not transfer ownership of your entry by entering the Sweepstakes. However, by entering, you grant Sponsor, its agents, licensees, and assigns an irrevocable, perpetual (non-exclusive) right and permission to reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works of, exhibit, and otherwise use your entry as-is or as-edited (with or without using your name) in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you.
- Drawings: Each time the Swear Jar fills up during the Entry Period, Sponsor will select one (1) potential winner in a random drawing of all entries received by the time of the drawing. The odds of being selected depend on the number of entries received. Sponsor will notify each winner via e-mail (if the winner entered on the website) or via a direct message from @Hotelsdotcom to the winner’s Twitter account with instructions on how to claim the prize. In order to receive a direct message from Sponsor, you must (a) be following @Hotelsdotcom on Twitter, and (b) have your Twitter account set to “unprotected” and/or “public.”
- Potential Winner Requirements: Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return a declaration of eligibility and liability/publicity release. If a potential winner fails to respond to the notification or to sign and return the required documents within 5 days, he/she will forfeit the prize, and Sponsor may select an alternate potential winner in a random drawing of all remaining entries received. Only three (3) alternate potential winners will be contacted.
- Prizes: Up to ten (10) winners will each receive a $1,000 Hotels.com gift card. Use of the gift card is subject to the applicable terms and conditions, which will be provided at the time of award. (Click here for more information.) Prizes will be sent within 7 days of verification. A winner is responsible for paying any applicable income taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. You may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Sweepstakes is impaired in any way, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Sweepstakes to address the impairment and then resume the Sweepstakes; or (b) award the prizes at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek damages from any individual who tampers with the operation of the Sweepstakes, violates these Official Rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication. The Sweepstakes is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: By entering, you agree to release the Sponsor, Twitter, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Sweepstakes; (b) technical errors that may affect the Sweepstakes; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Sweepstakes; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property. You further agree that in any cause of action, in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorneys’ fees or other legal costs. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
- Disputes: You agree that any disputes, claims, or causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Sweepstakes shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Dallas, Texas. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Texas, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Texas or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Texas.
- Winner Information: For the names of the winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Hotels.com L.P., 5400 LBJ Freeway, Suite 500, Dallas, TX 75240. Requests must be received by June 1, 2019.
- Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Hotels.com L.P., 5400 LBJ Freeway, Suite 500, Dallas, TX 75240.